Jeffrey Archer has been a favorite author of mine since reading his books like
Kane and Abel, but I also very much enjoy his short story collections like
A Quiver Full of Arrows or
Twelve Red Herrings. His newest set of short stories - the first in nearly a decade - is titled
TELL TALE and it doesn't disappoint. Just like previous works, there are plenty of trademark Archer twists and surprise endings. So far, I have especially enjoyed "Who Killed the Mayor?"
I also wanted to take this opportunity to mention a couple of new mystery "cozy" series I thought I would try. I am
very happily immersed in
THE SECRET BOOK AND SCONE SOCIETY by Ellery Adams. The first in a new series for prolific writer Adams, this is a delicious mix of baking and bibliotherapy with tons of references to book titles and authors - plus a mysterious death to solve. Doesn't that sound perfect? Four strong women, Nora (a former librarian), Hester (the baker), Estrella (runs a beauty salon) and June (works at he local spa) learn to trust each other as they combine to solve the death of Neil Parrish, an investor in a housing development in Miracle Springs, North Carolina.
Library Journal called
THE SECRET BOOK AND SCONE SOCIETY a "tasty treat" and gave it a starred review.
BEST-LAID PLANTS by Marty Wingate is "on deck" in my to-be-read mystery pile. Available via Kindle or as an audio book, this title is number 6 in the potting shed mystery series, though the first for me. Pru Parke and her husband, former Detective Chief Inspector Christopher Pearse, take a trip to the beautiful Cotswolds intending to help rejuvinate a garden, but instead find a body and a mystery. Charming atmosphere, complete with a local village fete and plenty of suspects.
No comments:
Post a Comment