Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Dear Martin by Nic Stone


Today, I came across another librarian reading DEAR MARTIN by debut novelist Nic Stone and I am looking forward to sharing reactions with her and others about this highly acclaimed book (starred review from Booklist). Stone tells the story of high school senior Justyce McAllister who is handcuffed and poorly treated while only trying to prevent an ex-girlfriend from driving drunk. There is no consequence for, or apology from, the cop involved and this ignites anger and bewilderment in honor student Justyce. He starts reading the works of Dr. King and tries writing letters, or journaling, asking "What would Dr. King do?" Justyce increasingly struggles to deal with prejudice exhibited by classmates at his predominately white high school. Sadly, the situation escalates and a student is killed.   

My main reservation about this text is that the dialogue seems forced and even stereotypical at times. Unfortunately, that view was shared by several other readers with whom I discussed DEAR MARTIN. Comments were frequently disrespectful towards women, too. In addition, I was puzzled about why Justyce would be going to Princeton (a place which has a reputation of being less than accepting of those who are different) and his close friend, Manny, going to Spelman (the author's alma mater). Both choices did not seem like a “good fit” for the characters as developed in this novel.

DEAR MARTIN is short (~210 pages) and easy to read – it will definitely prompt classroom discussion and I know at least one teacher who is already assigning it as part of an independent reading project. I highly recommend including How It Went Down by Kekla Magoon and/or Piecing Me Together by Renee Watson and/or The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Let the literature circles begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment