skip to main |
skip to sidebar
ALL THE WATER IN THE WORLD
by Karen Raney is a debut novel
told through two voices, Maddy and her mom, Eve. Maddy is just sixteen and has
cancer so both are coping with quite a bit. Eve is a single parent and Maddy
has never met her dad, Antonio, which is also central to the story. Teens will like Maddy who is adventuresome,
artistic and courageous with a variety of coping mechanisms. For example, she
says, “I imagine wrapping myself in some big, thick, material until everything
is muffled and distant. Then I imagine I
am being observed by someone I can’t exactly picture, who knows everything I’m
thinking and loves me anyway. It makes
me feel I can do all kinds of difficult things.” Due to all of the chemo
treatments, she is home-schooled by a wise teacher: “if you go straight for an
answer, you get something you already know. If you go the crooked way back, you
have a chance of getting something more interesting.” With her teacher’s
encouragement, Maddy gets involved in the environmental movement and that leads
to time with Jack, another student who becomes her boyfriend and colleague on
the campaign. When Maddy is down, she turns to her grandparents and mother for
support. However, Eve comes off as very self-centered and Maddy has to worry
about her, too. Maddy tries to choose independence and resilience, thinking, “Nowadays
that was my motto: Keep going and see what happens.” This is a well-written and
multi-layered, if sad, book. ALL THE
WATER IN THE WORLD received a starred review from Booklist.
No comments:
Post a Comment