Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Reclaiming Conversation by Sherry Turkle



Reclaiming Conversation by Sherry Turkle is subtitled The Power of Talk in a Digital Age.  As already noted on our Library Blog, Sherry Turkle will be speaking on Friday, October 9th at 7pm at Skokie School in Winnetka. For more details, see the Family Action Network website or their press release.

This week, I have been contemplating the argument she makes in Reclaiming Conversation.  Turkle relates comments from college students about using their phones at meals and other times and feeling drawn (addicted?) to them.  I couldn’t help but think of those comments as I watched students come into our library, ignore others in their class, and instead send and receive text messages. The potential loss of empathy and of concern for others troubles Turkle and she cites many examples and quotes students at some length.  Given how engaged college students were in her research, I think that this book will challenge some of our students, too, and could certainly be used for a non-fiction text assignment. If you missed Turkle’s recent New York Times Op-ed piece, “Stop Googling. Let’s Talk,” do look for that. Other works by Turkle include Alone Together and her upcoming talk will be an important, informative one.

No comments:

Post a Comment