HOPE AND OTHER PUNCHLINES by Julie Buxbaum (author of
What to Say Next) is a new young adult novel which centers around the aftermath
of September 11. The main characters are
teenagers Abbi and Noah, both of whom have special ties to that day.
Abbi is known as Baby Hope because of a
famous photograph of her one year old self taken as the towers burned and
fell.
Noah is searching for his father who
disappeared on that day and convinces Abbi to accompany him to interviews with
some of the adults in the photo. Buxbaum balances 9/11's tragic consequences with some
budding romance and chronicles the attempt by these young teens who have no real
memory of the day’s events to begin to move on.
HOPE AND OTHER PUNCHLINES
is a relatively quick read, and while there is plenty of reflection on the
sacrifices made that day (think
The Red Bandanna), this novel will also appeal due to its consideration of teenage
angst and pain. For example, Abbi comments about former best girlfriend Cat: “when I look back, I think we outgrew
each other. It’s as simple and as sad as that.” Noah narrates alternating chapters and muses: "You know what I think? I think the reason high school sucks is because it feels so small. Like a too tight turtleneck .... And even if you are brave enough to molt, there's all those people around you still, like, holding up and showing you your old skin."
No comments:
Post a Comment