skip to main |
skip to sidebar
(DON'T) CALL ME CRAZY edited by Kelly Jensen contains a series of
essays, lists and drawings from “33 voices [who] start the conversation about
mental health.” Contributors include familiar names like Kristen Bell, Libba Bray and Adam Silvera. Jensen, who also edited Here We Are about feminism, dedicated this book “for those who have
found their brave and for those who are still looking.” I liked the section
where Jensen wrote, “I felt like me, until I didn’t. … I am a person figuring
out how to be the best version of myself, one step at a time.” A useful
resource is the list of non-fiction and fiction books, online sources, and
films which appears near the end of this collection. Of course, the problem with lists is what is
left off and this one, somewhat surprisingly, did not include relevant titles
by popular young adult authors like A.S. King, Jennifer Niven, or Matthew
Quick. It did include Hotline numbers like National Suicide Prevention at
1-800-273-TALK (8255). School Library Journal gave (DON'T) CALL ME CRAZY a
starred review; Kirkus (“highly
readable and vital collection”) and Booklist
(“inviting, much-needed resource”) were also very positive. Let the talk continue.
No comments:
Post a Comment