Eventually, they fall in love, marry and have children of their own who
struggle in turn with adolescent issues of identity and questions relative to
race, culture and tolerance. Those cousins, Chantal and Anna, forge a special
relationship with their immigrant grandmother, Ranee, who memorably has her own identity
crisis while still revering her late husband. In fact, the title of Perkins’
young adult novel refers to a line in a poem which the patriarch of this family
recited to his bride and reflects their sometimes hidden affection and esteem
along with the value of acceptance. YOU BRING THE DISTANT NEAR focuses on the
importance of family, despite occasional stresses, and on mother-daughter
conflicts as well as cultural assimilation.
The novel is a fairly quick read
and its 720 Lexile score should add to appeal for reluctant readers, although
girls will have the most interest given the main characters and arc of the
story. YOU BRING THE DISTANT NEAR has potential for a Junior
Theme with immigrant experience emphasis (it has been referred to as an easier, Indian
version of The Joy Luck Club) or possibly as a mother/daughter read for
a freshmen or sophomore advisory. Starred
reviews from Booklist, Horn Book, Publishers Weekly and School
Library Journal.
On another note, I was very surprised when I saw the starred
reviews (from Booklist, Horn Book, Kirkus, Publishers
Weekly and School Library Journal) that LANDSCAPE WITH
INVISIBLE HAND by M. T. Anderson had received. I would agree that it is very well-written by
National Book Award winner Anderson, but his vision of a dystopian future was
depressing to read, especially given all of the all too real recent news about
hurricanes, a major earthquake, identity theft, and immigration restrictions
for refugees and dreamers. Anderson’s
work involves a future Earth controlled by an alien species, the vuvv. Humans such as the main character, Adam, struggle
to provide for their families due to a scarcity of jobs. Healthcare, too, is an issue with high costs
and limited availability, plus a polluted environment contributing to disease
like Adam’s frequent bouts of diarrhea and gastro-discomfort. Also, social
media is used for entertainment with sometimes little regard for factual
presentations. Yes, I guess one should acknowledge
Anderson’s satirical points, but even though LANDSCAPE WITH INVISIBLE
HAND is more of a novella (about 150 pages), it is still quite a sad,
bleak, and disturbing read.
I also recently had a chance read excerpts from 5 young
adult novels being published by Penguin this month or next. They included: more
gritty science fiction from Marie Lu (Legend) in WARCROSS;
Kristin Cashore’s (Graceling) new fantasy titled JANE, UNLIMITED;
the start of a horror story called THERE'S SOMEONE INSIDE YOUR HOUSE by Stephanie Perkins (Anna and the French Kiss); plus THINGS I'M
SEEING WITHOUT YOU by Peter Bognanni (The House of Tomorrow) and
a fractured fairy-tale debut novel, FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS
by Julie C. Dao. A variety of teen reads,
but generally dark and a bit grim – the first and last titles especially are
getting quite positive reviews; I will post more comments when I finish a full
text.
No comments:
Post a Comment