GINNY MOON by Benjamin Ludwig is a must read book. I
try not to say that very often and this debut novel is certainly uncomfortable
to read at the beginning, but I became so enamored with the characters that I simply
could not stop. New Hampshire English and writing teacher
Benjamin Ludwig was at The Book Stall last Wednesday afternoon (May 3rd) and I
am really sorry to have missed that discussion about this story of an autistic
teenage girl in a foster family.
It has been almost 5 years since Ginny Moon, then nine, was removed
from an abusive and neglectful situation with her Birth Mother, Gloria. Since then she has been in several foster
homes and may have found her Forever Home with Maura and Brian who are
expecting a child. In an effort to help
Ginny adjust to a sibling, she is given a plastic electronic baby, but it will
not stop crying and Ginny wants her Baby Doll instead, obsessing over finding
Gloria and making sure that her Baby Doll is safe.
GINNY MOON is a coming of age story that is
full of suspense and action as well as troubled relationships and several well-intentioned
blunders and misunderstandings. In creating these situations and Ginny’s internal
monologues, Ludwig aptly draws on his own experience as a foster parent of a
teen with autism. I, too, see Ginny in
some of my students - in their sheer determination and certainness of purpose,
their tendency to interpret most comments literally, and their sense of trust
and wonder. I am looking forward to
sharing this book with teachers and students.
I think that our book group and class literature circles would benefit
from reading and reflecting together on the title. In addition, we should add it to our Junior
Theme list. GINNY MOON received starred reviews from Booklist,
Library Journal and Publishers Weekly; plus it is an Amazon Best
Book of the Month for May and almost fifty percent of its ratings on Goodreads are 5 stars. Clearly,
I am not the only one to say GINNY MOON is a must read book.
ADDED JUNE 10: Author interview with Benjamin Ludwig
ADDED JUNE 10: Author interview with Benjamin Ludwig
No comments:
Post a Comment