I had seen the
popularity of other books such as Pay it Forward and When I Found You
by Catherine Ryan Hyde so I was curious and grateful to have a chance to read
her latest, ALLIE and BEA. It’s the story of a road trip and resulting
growth for the title characters. Bea is in in her 70’s and has been conned out
of her life savings so she decides to leave debt behind and travel along the
West Coast, living in her van. Allie is
15 when her parents are suddenly arrested for tax fraud and she finds herself being
sent to a group home by Child Protection Services. That and subsequent adventures prove to be such
dangerous situations that she ultimately runs away and connects with Bea.
Most
of the book then relates the challenges – physical and emotional - they face on
a journey through Northern California, Oregon and Washington State. The
relationship which develops is certainly a warm and charming one. ALLIE and BEA is great, light “beach”
reading for the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment