Saturday, April 12, 2014

Word Exchange by Alena Graedon



The Word Exchange is an extremely ambitious book and there are portions of it which are so clever – it’s set in the near future at a time when the printed word is disappearing and everyone seems to be catching “word flu” and struggling to communicate without the aid of handheld devices. I really love the way the author weaves in newly created words and how the chapters are ordered alphabetically, each with a word and definition which applies to its content.  Alena Graedon succeeded, too, in making me think about my own reliance on devices and technology. I even improved my vocabulary as I read this as an eBook and used the dictionary feature to review actual, but somewhat less commonly used words.

On the other hand, I have really struggled to stay with this book and to finish it. It does not hold my interest, especially when Bart (character who is working on a new dictionary) is speaking/writing to us. I have suggested the title to several English teachers because I think that they will be intrigued by the story and its literary allusions, but I wish it was shorter so that more of our students would read and discuss this dystopian situation and some of the important ideas which it explores.

See what you think – we have a copy of Word Exchange available for checkout. Other “read-alikes” might include The Circle by Eggers or The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester.

No comments:

Post a Comment