I have been intending to write this post for several months, and every time I start it, there seems to be more and more to write. I have decided to split it into two posts. The general theme is about Refugees and I will be providing a review on a number of books. Still, that feels too short for this important topic so I encourage you to see the display in the library and to watch the video embedded below.
All of these young people have come to America from Africa,
Latin America and the Middle East with very limited English skills and their
teacher, Mr. Williams, sets out to help them assimilate. In some ways, this is
a coming of age story, but it also serves as a moral fable. Kirkus says reading
THE NEWCOMERS will create “a wider, more sympathetic view of the
world and its inhabitants - certainly something we need right now.” Our
students have previously read Kids of Kabul and asked for more –
I am hoping that they will embrace and learn from this important book as well. THE
NEWCOMERS received a starred review from Publishers Weekly. Here, too, is link to an author interview by Larry Ferlazzo for Ed Week.
RESCUE by David Miliband is compassionate,
inspirational, and humbling. Miliband, President and CEO of the International
Rescue Committee (IRC), subtitles his first book “Refugees and the Political
Crisis of Our Time.” He explains that his own parents were refugees and offers
a call for action in both the book and this video (online here, too):
Miliband cites numerous statistics, such as “60 percent of
all refugees live in urban areas, not camps.” He describes the differences in
needs for housing, food, education and health care as well as the impact on the
cities’ infrastructure. Continuing, he notes that “the assumption that the
majority of refugees live in camps as opposed to urban areas is not the only
mismatch between perception and reality.” Another has to do with long-term displacement
where, for example, approximately a third of the 330,000 refugees in a camp in
eastern Kenya were born there. That camp is called Dadaab and was built 25
years ago (see also City of Thorns by Ben Rawlence). Clearly,
these numbers are disturbing – can you imagine living your entire life in a
camp?
I also wanted to highlight the graphic novel, THE BEST
WE COULD DO by debut author Thi Bui.
In this illustrated memoir, she relates the events surrounding refugees
from an earlier generation. Her family
fled the fall of Saigon in the 1970s and eventually learned to adapt to life in
America. This work received multiple starred reviews: Booklist, Kirkus,
Library Journal and School Library Journal (which said, "Curricular
tie-ins include immigration policies, refugees, colonization, and the Vietnam
War. ... Hand this essential volume to teens ...").
As noted, there are so many titles on this topic worth
reading – if you have one to suggest let us know and I will post more soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment