I do not often write about
videos on this blog, but I wanted to be sure to share information about an
extremely powerful and moving one called HOMESTRETCH.
We have two DVD copies available
for checkout. This award winning documentary (trailer above) was a co-production between Spargel Productions and Kartemquin Films. Homestretch tells the
stories of homeless teens in the Chicago area. Roque, whose father was
deported, has dreams of going to college and is supported by an involved
teacher/mentor. Kasey was told to leave
her house after she came out as lesbian to her family. Anthony is struggling and wants to support his
young child. As these stories evolve,
readers will learn about various services and community programs like Night Ministry and Belfort House in Chicago.
PBS' Independent Lens aired the film in April 2015 and has additional clips on their website. Homestretch is a call to action for
confronting stereotypes, for thinking about differences in opportunities, and for
better understanding what it’s like to be attending high school while
homeless. Reviewer Richard Roper said, “Heartbreaking,
but it’s also very inspirational… an important film that people need to see.” I agree.
No comments:
Post a Comment