Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Wilder Rose

A Wilder Rose is a thoughtful introspective on the story behind the authorship of "The Little House" series. At one point, Laura Ingalls Wilder's daughter, Rose Wilder Lane, comments:
"Would I have felt differently if I had know this one book was only the first of an eight-book series? Would I have asked for recognition and a share of the royalties if I had known that each book would take two or three months away from my writing projects and sap whatever meager store of energy I might have for my own work? Perhaps."

I looked at A Wilder Rose because the positive professional reviews suggested that it might be a new work to recommend to our Junior Theme students.  However, I believe that it will simply not hold their attention.  Despite describing various literary relationships, the impact of the Depression, and some parent-child conflicts, the first person narration will likely not engage our students.  Readers with at least some prior knowledge of the 1930's and devotees of the Little House series will be intrigued by the story and will appreciate the free (via Kindle) Reader's Guide for A Wilder Rose. However, I will recommend that our Juniors who are interested in life on the prairie focus instead on titles like My Antonia by Willa Cather and use the many resources we have available to support a literary analysis related to her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment