Sunday, September 13, 2015

This is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison



I am highly recommending This is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison.  Author Jonathan Evison does indeed provide an insightful commentary on Harriet’s life, and through her, on the lives of many American women.  I was totally immersed in the story of 78 year-old Harriet and was fascinated by the various flashbacks to her younger self at key points in her life. Visions of marriage to Bernard, motherhood, and early professional positions nicely dovetailed with those experiences for many women during the 20th century.  Book groups will adore this title and I recommend This is Your Life, Harriet Chance especially to fans of Olive Kitteridge and similar quiet, domestic works.   Called a “generous and wise tale,” This is Your Life, Harriet Chance received a starred review from Kirkus.

LOCAL NOTE: Author Jonathan Evison will be at Highland Park Public Library on September 28th at 7pm – see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment